Study in Hungary


      Before coming to Hungary
      Education system
      Information for students
      Useful links

Before coming to Hungary

To study in Hungary you have to hold residence permit and if you are non-EU citizen you may apply for study visa as well.

Students from the EU and EEA do not require a student visa to Hungary. However, you must apply for a residence permit within 75 days after arrival to Hungary. You have to submit your application together with the Letter of Acceptance from the university, a housing contract, a statement of your personal finances and a certificate of your health insurance.

Residence and Visa information

Residence permit and visa application forms can be submitted to the local Immigration Offices. The list of offices can be found on the homepage of the Office for Immigration and Nationality >>

Visa and immigration information >>
Residence visa application forms >>

Health insurance - Health care

Brief description of health insurance >>

Back to top

Education system

The structure of the Hungarian education system:

Pre-school education (3 to 7 years of age)
Primary education: from 1st to 4th, 6th or 8th grades
Secondary education: up to 12th grade
    - gymnasium / high school (general lower and upper secondary), specialized vocational and training schools
    - vocational secondary school (generally: 4 years)
    - vocational training school (2+2 years)
    - post-secondary vocational course (1-2 years)
Non-university level post-secondary studies
    - higher vocational training (2 years)
    - non-university higher education (3-4 years)
Higher education
    - undergraduate education (last 3-4 years)
    - graduate education (lasts 5 to 6 years)
    - postgraduate education - includes Ph.D.

Partial academic training
Full academic training
Partial and full Ph.D. courses
Adult education and training

Vocational studies may not be commenced before the age of 16, up to which pupils are to acquire fundamental education. Education is compulsory for all children up to the age of 16. The public education is free for Hungarians, foreigners with settlement permit and for EU nationals.

For more detailed description of the educational system see the Ploteus portal or EuroEducation portal.

Register of vocational qualifications recognised by the Hungarian State - The National Qualification Register (Országos Képzési Jegyzék): >>

Back to top

Information for students

Recognition of studies & qualifications

The degrees granted by the Hungarian universities are automatically recognized in all EU-countries. The EU directives list a few professions with common educational criteria. These are medicine, veterinary medicine, pharmacy and dentistry. Such professional qualifications must be recognized without any licensing examinations. (Certain language skills can be required, though.) The EU-recognition applies only to the nationals of the member states.

The Hungarian Equivalence and Information Centre as one of the departments of the Ministry of Education, deals with recognising certificates and degrees obtained abroad as well as providing information about education systems in Hungary and abroad. >>

Student expenses and financial aid

Studying in higher education can either be state financed and self financed for Hungarian citizens according to the law on higher education. Foreign citizens can apply for state-financed education after successful entrance examination in Hungarian regardless to their citizenship.

Tuition fees: up to 11 000 EUR per academic year

Scholarships, grants: You can find various fellowship opportunities for foreigners. The web site of the Hungarian Scholarship Board provides information on scholarships financed by the Ministry of Education based on bilateral exchange programmes with approximately 45 countries >>

Institutions participating in ERASMUS programme >>

Application information

Application closing dates for the school year 2007:
Secondary schools: 15th February (for 6 or 8 grade schools 10th December)
Other non-university level (technical/vocational type) studies: up to the beginning of school year
University level higher education:
      - for courses in Hungarian: 15th February, late applications in August;
      - for international courses: generally in February but exact dates are varying according to the institutions
Advanced/doctoral studies: May (generally)

Admission requirements for higher education:
      - Secondary School Leaving Certificate (issued after the completion of 12 years of study or 11 years if primary and secondary education comprise eleven years in that particular country and entitles its holder to apply for admission to an institution of higher education in the given country) or its equivalent
      - Entrance examination
      - For some courses there are health requirements

School year in public education: September - June
Academic year in higher education: September - May

Back to top

Useful links

PLOTEUS - Portal on Learning Opportunities Throughout Europe
Tempus Public Foundation - international cooperation programmes and special projects in the field of education, training and EU-related issues
Campus Hungary - higher education for foreigners
StudyHungary - studies in the fields of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Veterinary Science and Human Kinesiology
The Budapest Sun Online - international degree and study abroad programs in Hungary

Back to top